Wednesday 14 May 2014

Flip Book & Thaumatrope

In this workshop I was to produce a Flip book and Thaumatrope animation, if possible relating in some way to my news story. To create a Flip book I had to fold the paper to be fairly small and cut it in a way that would allow me to put a flip book together and have usable. I came across a few problems along the way, the folding for a start was quite confusing but once I got through that more problems arose when it came to stapling  the book together on side, which was made impossible by thickness of the book. I also had to cut the edge so it would flip easily, this didn't work either, as the edges just became rough which made it had to use. In an attempt to fix this I tried using tape to stick the pages together loosely which didn't work well but it did the job. The main problem came to actually 'play' the animation, flip through the book, once I had drawn in each frame/page, instead I decided to show it off it would be best if I just took photos instead and so did so to run it better. I never finished the whole book as I came across these problems along the way, which too time to figure out but what ended up with is a simple look at what flip books are and how they work. If I where to do this again I would try finding a different method to actually make a flip book as this one didn't seem ti work well for me, it may be best to just buy a small sketch book or create something simpler and smaller so that it would work, such as folding a sheet of paper into small squares and cutting it up evenly, not too thick so I can staple it together or possible glue the top of every sheet, and make sure to cut it in a way that I can flip through easily.
A Thaumatrope is to images on either side of a small piece of paper that relate in some way and work together so that when you flip the paper one goes into the other, such as drawing a bird on one side and a cage on another, giving the appearance that the bird is in a cage. To try and relate this to my news story I decided to draw a bomb going off. I don't think mine worked so well, this is partly because I couldn't make sense of how to work it well in my head and I don't think the thing I chose to do worked so well. To make a Thaumatrope, you simply need to cut out a small piece of paper, I used a circle to create mine, as most seem to do, but it can work with other shapes and even more pictures. The basic is to have 2 pieces of paper the same size that flip into each other, more pieces can be used for a more complicated piece. You then stick these 2 pieces of paper together on a stick so that you can flip it easily and then just twirl the stick in your hand and it should create some kind of animation/illusion based on what you have drawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment